- Hearing - Roles and Responsiblities Beginning 11 September 2012
- Hearing - Engineering Profession Beginning 10 September 2012
- Hearing - Building Management After Earthquakes Beginning 3 September 2012
- Hearing CTV Building Beginning 25 June 2012
- Hearing New Building Technologies Beginning 12 March 2012
- Hearing Srecko Cvetanov Submission 6 March 2012
- Hearing Forsyth Barr Beginning 23 February 2012
- Hearings About Other Buildings Whose Failure Resulted in Loss of Life Week 5
- Hearings About Other Buildings Whose Failure Resulted in Loss of Life Week 4
- Hearings About Other Buildings Whose Failure Resulted in Loss of Life Week 3 Beginning 30 January 2012
- Hearings Other Buildings Whose Failure Resulted in Loss of Life Week 2 Beginning 23 January 2012
- Hearings Other Buildings Whose Failure Resulted in Loss of Life Week 1 Beginning 12 December 2011
- Hearing Hotel Grand Chancellor Beginning 17 January 2012
- Hearing PGC Building Beginning 28 November 2011
- Hearing Unreinforced Masonry Buildings
Beginning 7 November 2011
- Hearing Soils Beginning 25 October 2011
- Hearing Seismicity Beginning 17 October 2011
Hotel Grand Chancellor Building Hearing
The Commission will conduct a public hearing from 17-18 January 2012 in which we will consider all issues relevant to the failure of the Hotel Grand Chancellor building in the earthquake of 22 February 2011.
The Commission will consider:
- Whether the building as originally designed and constructed complied with earthquake-risk and other legal and best-practice requirements both when it was designed and constructed and on or before 4 September 2010.
- Whether any alterations to, and maintenance of, the building complied with earthquake-risk and other legal and best-practice requirements both when they were carried out and on or before 4 September 2010.
- Why the building failed on 22 February 2011.
- Whether there were any particular features of the building that contributed to its failure.
- The nature of the land associated with the building and how it was affected by the Canterbury earthquakes.
- Whether the building had been identified as earthquake-prone on or before 4 September 2010.
- Whether the building was subject to required or voluntary measures to make it less susceptible to earthquake-risk and the compliance standards they had achieved.
- The performance of the building and any damage sustained in the earthquake of 4 September 2010 and the aftershocks down to 22 February 2011.
- The nature and effectiveness of any inspections of the building or other actions taken in respect of it following the 4 September earthquake down to 22 February 2011.
- The results of the technical investigation carried out by the Department of Building and Housing into the building.
- Any other issues relevant to the building under the Commission's Terms of Reference.
This hearing was completed on 15 March 2012.
Please note this timetable is subject to change and that evidence received in other forms (other than witnesses at hearings) is still considered by the Commissioners.
17 January 2012
|9.30am||Opening Statement by Mark Zarifeh||Counsel Assisting the Commission|
|9.45am||Adam Thornton||Structural Engineer, Dunning Thornton Consultants (author of the report on the Hotel Grand Chancellor prepared for the DBH)|
|3.45pm||Professor Stefano Pampanin||Associate Professor at the College of Engineering, University of Canterbury (member of the expert panel appointed by the DBH)|
|18 January||9.30am||William Holmes||Structural Engineer, Rutherford & Chekene, San Francisco (engaged by the Commission to peer review the DBH reports)|
|10am||Thornton, Pampanin and Holmes - expert panel discussion|
|11.30am||Gary Haverland||Structural Engineer, Structex|
|12.05pm||Thornton, Pampanin and Holmes - expert panel discussion|
|1.30pm||John Hare||Structural Engineer, Holmes Consulting Group|
|1.50pm||Steve McCarthy||Environmental Policy and Approvals Manager, Christchurch City Council|
|2.55pm||Steve Martin||General Manager, Hotel Grand Chancellor (by video link)|
ADJOURNED until the final witness
|15 March||12.35pm||Structural engineer, Powell Fenwick|
- Mark Zarifeh, Counsel Assisting the Commission
- Helen Smith and Katie Benson of Duncan Cotterill for Structex
- John Hannan of DLA Phillips Fox for Holmes Consulting Group
- Duncan Laing Simpson Grierson for Christchurch City Council
- Nadine Daines, inhouse counsel for Christchurch City Council
No submissions were received about the Hotel Grand Chancellor building